Under direction of the Director of Student Affairs and Academic Counseling provides academic and career counseling to students to foster student academic success.
- Provide academic and career counseling to Foundation, Pre-Medical and Medical students.
- Identify, counsel and monitor progress of students having academic difficulty and/or concerns.
- Develop and coordinate tutoring services for Foundation, Pre-Medical and Medical students.
- Provide personal counseling to students as relevant to their academic studies and refer students for EAP counseling if necessary.
- Serve as a member of the Academic Advising Committee.
- Attend Promotion and Graduation (P&G) Committee meetings, provide relevant student performance information to Committee members, and counsel students appropriately.
- Counsel students on issues pertaining to leaves of absence, monitor students who are on leave of absence, and coordinate return to active enrolment.
- Develop and host presentations and workshops for students and the community on strategies for student academic success.
Draft letters of recommendation for electives, research opportunities, scholarships and awards.
- Assist students in selection of courses, including cross-registration at partner institutions.
- Assist students in registering for major standardized exams (i.e. MCAT, USMLE Step 1, Step 2CK, and Step 2CS).
- Performs other special projects and duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency (written and spoken) in Arabic.
Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with multiple concurrent demands.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and spoken English.
Licenses and Certifications
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- Work is completed in an office environment.
- Approximately 50% is computer-based, 50% is desk/office based.
- The job may require extended and varying work hours to meet demands.
Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar was established in 2001 as a partnership between Cornell University and Qatar
Foundation. The first medical school in Qatar and a pioneer of
coeducation at university level, WCM-Q offers an integrated program of
pre-medical and medical studies leading to the Cornell University M.D.
degree. Teaching is by Cornell and Weill Cornell faculty, including
physicians at Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) who hold Weill Cornell
Enrollment has grown rapidly from 25 first year pre-medical students
in fall 2002 to over 200 students from more than 30 countries as we
entered our sixth year of operation in September 2007.
WCM-Q is part of Weill Cornell Medical College, which was founded in
New York City over 100 years ago, and shares the same mission:
to provide the finest education possible for medical studentsto conduct research at the cutting edge of knowledgeto improve health care both now and for future generationsto provide the highest quality of care to the community
Weill Cornell Medicine-Qatar is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disabled employer.
- Job Location
- Doha, Qatar
- Company Industry
- Education, Training, and Library
- Company Type
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role
- Teaching and Academics
- Employment Type
- Temporary Employee
- Monthly Salary Range
- Number of Vacancies
- Job Ref.