The role of the Communications and Media Officer is to support the Media, and Communications team in delivering vital internal and external information and communication products in emergency responses and development programmes that enable excellent media and fundraising activities for Members and across Save the Children Jordan
The post-holder will be supporting the delivery of a comprehensive media and communications strategy, ensuring smooth flow of information, good relations with visiting donors and the media (including social media), and high- quality reports to showcase Save the Children’s work in Jordan. Additionally, the Communications and Media Officer will work closely with the programmes teams to ensure that external messaging and image is consistent and communicates the achievements and work of our programmes.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
The post holder will also be expected to participate in building up the organization’s brand, namely through national and regional media, and support programmes to carry out communication with beneficiaries’ work, where needed.
The Media & Communications Officer might act as a key focal point for media requests. The Officer will also be in charge of arranging and hosting visits in refugee camps and host communities.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Support the information and communication flows on the emergency responses and a variety of internal and external stakeholders (including situation reports-SitRep)
Writing newsworthy press releases and articles for circulation to the national, regional & international news media (in accordance with usual sign-off procedures)
Facilitate international news media field visits showcasing the work of Save the Children Jordan, while sensitive to the realities on the ground Represent Save the Children Jordan in various regular conference calls and working groups with other country offices and partners; and produce minutes of meetings or summaries of the calls Prepare key messages, messaging around sensitive issues and Q&As for conducting organisational external relations Manage incoming media requests, prioritizing & co-ordination with the regional and in-country teams Create accurate, clear and consistent content and communication outputs relating to the country programme development and emergency programmes– including case studies, success stories, key messages, Q&A’s, blogs, fact sheets and donor’s communications requirements.Support and/or undertake photography commissions to a high standard, to accompany compelling case studies
A Media and Communications Officer serves as a contact between Save the Children’s field staff and media/campaign teams across Save the Children globally
Contributing to a coherent media and communications’ strategy for Save the Children Jordan, in line with institutional and operational priorities and advocacy and member fundraising needs
Facilitate news media spokespersoning, liaising with the regional and country office teams when needed
Analyze the effect of different on-line channels and identify appropriate digital media channels to promote SCJ programs
Supervise and gather images and film in the field, while sensitive to the realities on the ground
Reach out and build a network with national and regional media Prepare and manage press conferences
Creating and processing Purchase Requests and Purchase Orders in coordination with Budgeting and Logistics departments
Support the country programme and senior management team to have in place appropriate media management strategies Work on the organization’s Annual Report and publications
Ensure proper visibility and branding for Save the Children across programmes including donor’s/ partners visibility requirements.
Ensure delivery of appropriate communications materials for fundraising and advocacy purposes: (case studies, photos, situation reports, videos, blogs and other materials relating to Save the Children’s work )
Work on the country programme online platforms including the organization’s website, the internal page on (OneNet) and all social media presence
Seek ways to creatively communicate our role, enabling the exploitation of new media
Coordinate with the MEAL Unit to obtain the information, data and impact results needed for communication Collaborate with advocacy and policy colleagues to ensure core messaging is consistent with advocacy and policy strategies within the country programme, including the humanitarian response and that opportunities are explored to promote these strategies
Deliver results in line with the terms of reference agreed in advance – to do this in a way which maintains the reputation of Save the Children Jordan.
Comply with Save the Children policies and practices with respect to media and communication, child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
To perform other responsibilities as agreed with the line management
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
Accountability for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others Future orientated, thinks strategically
Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions Willing to take disciplined risks
Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least 5 years’ experience as a journalist in a credible news organisation OR equivalent experience as a Media & Communications officer in an international humanitarian or development agency
- Significant experience of working in NGO programmes
- University degree in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience Experience of working in Media activities in a challenging environment and a good knowledge of the Middle East media scene, networks, and media contacts etc.
- Evidence of excellent verbal and written communication skills in both Arabic and English producing materials for a wide range of different audiences including donors, journalists and the ‘general public’
- Experience of effective spokesperson across a range of media
- Excellent writing skills, and the ability to produce compelling media products such as press releases, key messages/speaking points and Q&As
- The ability to digest complex information, quickly, and express this crisply and clearly
- Excellent relationship building skills in order to work for limited periods within programmes under pressure of running emergency responses
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support
- Experience of delivering training, presentations and other capacity building activities to varied audiences, ideally within a country programme.
- Excellent IT skills, especially in Microsoft Word
- Excellent understanding of media and campaigning activities Strong influencing skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus, and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Job Location
- Amman, Jordan
- Company Industry
- Community/Social Services/and Nonprofit
- Company Type
- Non-Profit Organization
- Job Role
- Community Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time Employee
- Monthly Salary Range
- Number of Vacancies
- Job Ref.
- Career Level
- Mid Career
- Years of Experience
- Min: 5
- Bachelor’s degree / higher diploma