Data Center Operations designs, installs & maintains the world’s largest Cloud Computing Infrastructure. Our client is looking for skilled Data Centre Linux & HW Engineer with a passion for technology to help us expand our Cloud to the next level.
The Opportunity: Data Centre Linux & HW Engineer
This role is a unique opportunity to work in some of the most cutting edge data centers in the world.
A Data Centre Linux & HW Engineer may be the primary point of contact for both internal customers (for example: Network Engineers, Systems Engineers, Software Developers, Database Engineers, Technical Operations) and external customers (Hardware Vendors, Contractors, Service Providers among others).
There is never a dull moment as each day presents itself with different challenges. Some of the key responsibilities you will undertake are:
Problem Solving: Maintain a high level of system reliability by prioritizing and resolving trouble tickets efficiently, these include:
• Escalation point and technical troubleshooter for all Systems and Network hardware problems
• Deep diving into Linux server issues
• XEN service virtualization troubleshooting
Technical: Troubleshoot technical issues on various platforms ranging from Systems through Networking to Power/Mechanical
• Remediation of physical layer outages, both Systems & Network
• Remediation or recovery of physical power issues on racks
• Participate in Data Center power & cooling events
Operations: Meet 24×7 On-Call requirements and response during shift rotations.
• Install & configure racks of hosts in line with internal SLAs
• Triage & resolve trouble tickets for all devices in your region
• Data Center point of contact for all High Severity issues
• Physical replacement of server and network device parts
• Ensure correct rotation of parts & spares
• Help define metrics to increase our customer uptime
• Enforcing Amazons Security Best Practices
• Interact with third party vendors & contractors
• Contribute ideas to improve operational efficiency
• Engage with Remote Hands & Eyes in EU Regional Cloudfront POPs
• Participate in and deliver on a number of high impact small to mid-scale projects
• Participate in team meetings for metric analysis and project status updates
• Help build the world’s largest Cloud infrastructure
Mentoring: Share knowledge and help educate less technical staff on the best practices related to all service owner issues
Hiring: Contribute towards building a great team by getting involved in the Amazon hiring process/candidate interviews
• Solid Understanding of Linux/Unix Administration
• Server Hardware Troubleshooting experience
• Server Booting: POST, BIOS, PXE, Kickstart, GRUB/LILO, RAID
• Some Experience with Network Protocols: TCP/IP, Ethernet, L2/L3 technologies
• Network Hardware: Copper and Optical Fiber Cabling, Switches, Routers
• Strong Communication Skills
• Passionate about IT infrastructure and hardware!
This position also has a physical component requiring the ability to lift & rack equipment up to 20kg; it may require working in cramped spaces or in elevated locations while adhering to health & safety guidelines.
This role involves covering 24×7 shift rotation
• Remote Access: Console routers, IPMI, BMC
• Network Equipment Installation and Configuration
• Cisco IOS, NX-OS, JunOS
• Redundancy: Power feeds, ATS, Server Hardware, RAID, Network Connectivity
• Data Center Operations: Inventory Management, Hot/Cold Aisles, Security
• Participated in Project Management
• Experience or Knowledge of AWS products: EC2, EBS, S3 etc.
• Scripting: Bash, Python, Perl, Ruby (or programming languages)
For more information please apply.
RP International is the leading specialist recruitment consultancy in the established and emerging telecoms markets.
From our hubs covering the Americas, Europe the CIS, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific we have partnered with operators, vendors, systems integrators and consultancies in more than a hundred countries, giving us an in-depth understanding Of cultural sensitivities, local business practices and hiring requirements.
Our clients and candidates benefit from the long-term perspective and breadth of knowledge that comes from working with an industry partner.
From our beginnings providing telecoms expertise into deregulating markets, we have developed our range of services to supply executive search, contingent, contract and launch and transformation resource solutions across the industry.
Our historic success in cross-border search assignments connects our clients to a global network of industry talent.
We identify the best available candidates on a local, regional and international basis.