The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.
IRC Jordan aspires to empower vulnerable communities with freedom and dignity by prioritizing the use of cash over in-kind humanitarian assistance to achieve its strategic programmatic outcomes. In line with the IRC’s global cash strategy, in 2018 IRC Jordan will expand upon its use of cash assistance across all programming outcome areas. Over the next four years, cash assistance programming will serve as a central delivery modality in all IRC programming in Jordan country program including in health, protection, economic wellbeing and education interventions.
The Cash Unit in Jordan serves as the operational hub for making cash payments to beneficiaries of all of IRC Jordan’s interventions. IRC Jordan has multiple sectors that utilize cash for their programs and employs a variety of payment mechanisms to transfer cash to beneficiaries. The Cash Unit coordinates and streamlines all processes involved in making payments to ensure that Jordan’s cash programs run smoothly and efficiently.
Reporting to the Deputy Director of Operations (DDO), the Cash Unit Manager will provide leadership and oversight to the activities of the Jordan Cash Unit as well as quality assurance and management support to all the sectors using cash payments to meet programmatic outcomes. S/he is responsible for the supervision of all cash transfers managed by CU. S/he will act as focal person for Cash transfers across in IRC Jordan Program.
• Participate in the finalization of a structure and operating processes for the Cash Unit in consultation with programmatic and operational leads.
• Lead the day-to-day operation and monitoring of the Cash Unit, supporting effective and efficient delivery of cash to beneficiaries.
• Support the growth in use of cash as a way to meet humanitarian program objectives.
• Provide technical guidance on payment mechanism analysis and new Financial Service Provider contracting.
• Responsible for leading the periodic review of Jordan’s Cash Relief Operating Procedures for each payment mechanism.
Assuring Program Quality
• Overall responsible for ensuring that the Cash Unit supports program teams to set up appropriate and effective cash transfer mechanisms through supporting payment mechanism analysis reviews for programs and supporting proposal development as it relates to using cash.
• Ensure that the Cash Unit’s processes and procedures adhere to donor and IRC compliance regulations, as well as international and national standards;
• With support from the program management and program quality team (MEAL), ensure accountability to beneficiaries;
• Lead the establishment of different payment processes with corresponding SOPs and ensure required documentation for payments and audit is collected and stored;
• Maintain up to date tracking and projections of budgetary information and a calendar of scheduled distributions and their details;
• Communicate regularly with operational and program team about scheduled distributions, and updates on Cash Unit activities;
• Conduct regular field visits to verify quality/ progress of cash distribution and provide technical guidance and CU teams in the field.
Team Management and Coordination
• Management of Cash Unit team including Officers and Assistants based in Amman and Mafraq.
• Ensure Cash Unit staff have relevant skills and expertise to carry out cash transfer interventions.
• Coordinate closely with all programs (having cash transfer in their projects), Finance, Supply chain, and Security departments.
• Responsible for Cash Unit salary mapping in coordination with relevant program coordinators and senior staff.
• Responsible for Cash Unit staff performance management and training and development needs.
• Represent the IRC to Cash Working Group and other relevant forum, as and when required.
Financial Reconciliation and Reporting
• Produce periodic internal reports for the Senior Management Team reporting on key performance indicators such as time to delivery and functional complaints management.
• Ensure Cash Unit distribution reports are reconciled with financial reports and ensure expenses are properly charged to relevant budget lines.
• Ensure reconciliation of payments provided to beneficiaries through reports collected from the Financial Service Provider and the field record are completed as scheduled.
• Oversee preparation of advances for emergency cash distributions as well as ensuring the timely distribution and liquation of advances according to the Cash Relief Operating Procedures.
• Coordinate with relevant financial institutions for the transfer of money to beneficiaries & reconciliation of bank statement with field report after completion of payment cycle.
• Develop & implement protocol for the safety & security of staff as well as beneficiaries during cash disbursement in coordination with security department.
Position Reports to: Deputy Director of Operations (DDO)
Position directly supervises: Finance officer/Assistant, Cash Transfer Officer/assistant, Data Base officer/assistant
Indirect Reporting: Cash Technical Advisor
Master degree, preferably in social sciences (or equivalent experience)
• At least 3 years’ experience working with INGOs in cash programming and or finance or supply chain preferably experience in distributions
• Experience managing a team of at least 3 people
• Experience working across operation and program departments
• Experience with external representation and coordination
• Experience working with or developing cash operating procedures
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Exceptional organizational skills including information management and database management
• Very strong interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Good team player and coordination skills
• Technical knowledge on managing and processing cash transfer payments
• Proven experience in people and finances management
• Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and lead a department
• Strong analytic skill
• Dynamic approach to problem solving
• Understanding of different cash transfer mechanism
• Strong oral and written English and Arabic
Only applicants who apply through the link will be considered .
- Job Location
- Amman, Jordan
- Company Industry
- Community/Social Services/and Nonprofit
- Company Type
- Non-Profit Organization
- Job Role
- Finance and Investment
- Employment Type
- Full Time Employee
- Monthly Salary Range
- Number of Vacancies
- Job Ref.
- Career Level
- Mid Career
- Years of Experience
- Min: 3
- Bachelor’s degree / higher diploma