Purpose and Scope of the Job:
Under the supervision of a Head Nurse /staff nurse, the Auxiliary Nurse assists with the provision of transport, transfer and hygiene services for assigned patients in nursing units per scheduled shifts. It includes the transport and transfer of patients within different locations of the hospital, positioning/ambulation of patients, collection of requisitions and specimens, transport of equipment, and delivery of supplies. Performs nursing duties that meet the general needs of patients and families within established institutional requirements, nursing and hospital policies, procedures and standards. Communicates with staff nurse about changes in patient’s clinical condition. Abides by accreditation requirements, including but not limited to International Patient Safety Goals, national and international standards. Supports the mission and vision of the Dar Al Shifa Hospital (DASH) and the Nursing Department.
Main Duties and Responsibilities/Performance Standards:
1 Perform Transport duties:
• Abide by standards of care and practice.
• Assist in transporting patients to and from different areas of the hospital (i.e. between units, to and from procedure laboratories, etc).
• Transfer patients from Emergency Unit to assigned unit according to Emergency manual and in the presence of a registered nurse.
• Transport patients from unit to Operating Room.
• Transport patients within hospital units as directed/needed
• Attend to patient call and respond to need.
• Transport patients’ bodies to morgue.
• Perform patient positioning, moving, and transferring as per policy.
• Apply strict safety measures while performing transport and transfer services for patients.
• Maintain confidentiality of patient’s information and privacy at all times.
• Observe and report changes in patient’s condition to the staff nurse or Head Nurse.
• Recognize limitations and seek guidance and assistance as necessary.
• Communicate information to Staff Nurse effectively when needed.
• Assume responsibility for meeting accreditation required mandatory education, e.g., fire, safety, infection control and others.
2 Perform Messenger duties:
• Collect all sorts of requests from unit(s) and delivers it (them) to appropriate destination areas (pharmacy, CSSD, X-ray, etc.)
• Collect specimens from the unit(s) and delivers it (them) to the appropriate laboratory receiving areas.
• Deliver ordered patients’ medical record to Emergency Unit/ OPD/ others as needed
• Secure the requested supplies for the unit(s) by:
Daily exchange of used sets.
Timely refill of pharmacy and stock solution bottles.
Timely delivery of requested supplies – urgent and regular – (pharmacy, CSSD, etc…).
• Transport equipment for repair to and from appropriate destination.
• Handle linen with care and keep accurate counts
• Accompany the patient or relative to data entry to collect payment for the services provided in ER.
3 Maintain a clean, safe and therapeutic environment:
• Maintains cleanliness and hygienic measures in the entire unit.
• Follow hospital policies and guidelines regarding infection control and waste management.
• Use the principles of medical asepsis and isolation techniques.
• Apply principles of body mechanics in daily activities and in the transfer, transport, positioning and ambulation of assigned patients.
• Demonstrate knowledge of fire and disaster procedures.
• Assist in maintaining an adequate stock of supplies and proper functioning of equipment.
• Follow appropriate procedure for cleaning and disposing of equipment and supplies.
• Handle contaminated sets according to hospital policy.
• Disinfect trays, carriages, and medical equipment according to hospital approved disinfectants.
• Report any broken/malfunctioning equipments/utensils to the Modular/Staff Nurse.
Assume responsibility for meeting accreditation required mandatory education, e.g., fire, safety, infection control and others.
1 RESPONSIBILITY FOR SAFETY OF OTHERS
• Follow all safety practices.
• Maintain a safe working environment for self and others.
• Maintain a safe patient care environment.
2 WORKING CONDITIONS
• Require exposure to communicable diseases, bodily fluid, toxic substances, medicinal preparations, radiations and other conditions common to a hospital environment.
• Require ability to work under pressure.
• Require ability to work on shift rotation basis.
• Require ability to respond to absentee replacement on short notice.
3 PHYSICAL EFFORT:
Moderate to intensive physical effort required, involving standing/walking, carrying heavy equipment and transporting and positioning patients. Approximately 60% of working time.
Minimum of 5 hours of training per year.
Learning and Growth:
1. Mandatory requirement
2. Unit specific in service education as per departmental policy.
3. Fire Safety.
4. Complete annual competencies as needed.
5 Pass Heart Saver
5 Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Personal Traits
1. Good Organizational skills.
2. Good interpersonal and communication skills.
As per the DASH dress code.
1 year nursing education and/or on the job training.
- Job Location:
- Al Kuwait, Kuwait
- Company Industry:
- Healthcare, Practitioner and Technician
- Company Type:
- Employer (Private Sector)
- Job Role:
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Employment Type:
- Full Time Employee
- Monthly Salary Range:
- Number of Vacancies:
- Job Ref.:
- Career Level:
- Entry Level