Action Against Hunger is an international non-governmental organization working in more than 40 countries in the fields of nutrition, food security and livelihoods, water sanitation and hygiene, and care practices. ACF is looking for its program in Jordan for Market Study Consultant
Work place: Amman and Zarqa, Jordan
Employment Type: Full time job for two weeks and start ASAP
Full paid: 1400 JoD after final delivery
Number of Vacancies: 1
Action Against Hunger is implementing the project “Improvement of Solid Waste Management for host communities and Syrian Refugees in Azraq Town” The project is funded by Taiwan ICDF and Ville de Paris.
The overall objective of the project is the improvement of solid waste management in Azraq Municipality. This will be achieved by reaching five results:
1. The nature and the structure of the waste sector and its value chains are studied and understood;
2. A cooperative offers its solid waste and composting services to Azraq Municipality and creates local jobs;
3. The technical and managerial capacities of sector actors are strengthened;
4. A sorting and composting unit is set up;
Information and awareness raising information and campaigns are carried out among key actors and the general population.
A pre-feasibility study has been conducted in September, 2017 aimed to identify the current situation of Solid Waste Management in Azraq and collected secondary data related to Agricultural and animal production, main solid waste management stakeholders in Azraq Municipality and the environmental Jordanian legal, regulatory, and enforcement system for the compost plant and compost production. This study confirmed the profitability and feasibility of this project and found eleven main recommendations to be considered in the feasibility study
Two additional studies have been conducted in Azraq by ACF and a support partner, “Characterization of urban waste” and “Rapid survey on formal and informal actors of the value chain”. However, those two studies focused on house hold wastes, but the organic input materials will be green and animal waste from Azraq Farms.
The process of primary data collection for the market study divided into four parts:
1. Current Composting/ fertilizing practices in Azraq.
2. Consumers: including plant production farms in Azraq, agricultural shops.
3. Suppliers: including the plant and animal productions farms.
4. Current competitors in the field of fertilizers production.
To save the time, ACF team launched the data collection process targeting the consumers in Azraq. Over 600 farms, the assessment targeted 71 farms in Azraq. The questionnaire focused on the crop typology, seasonal calendar, fertilizing practices and knowledge about compost.
Objective of the mission:
1. To conduct market study to explore the potential of compost produced in Azraq and asses the current consumer preferences in terms of the price-quality packaging.
2. To compare various brands of local and imported compost products available in Jordan in particular their micro-element content / composition, packaging, pricing, distribution and market acceptance.
3. To provide strategies that would help compost unit manager in Azraq to penetrate the domestic market.
• Document consumer information on compost sales including preferences quality, type, packaging, usage the price they are willing to pay, where they buy, how they learn to know about compost, identify niche outside Azraq town, market segmentation, etc.
• Identify the challenges and opportunities of quality compost locally produced.
• Make a detailed comparison of composts products available on the Jordan market; price, packaging, volume, origin, quality, market preference, etc.
• Identify buyers of compost (not limiting to the farmers’ community).
• Document legal information relative to compost.
• Provide recommendations on compost marketing opportunities within Azraq and at national level.
• Provide information on both consumer preferences and local products’ strengths and weaknesses.
The deliverables will be:
1. Comprehensive compost market research includes the following:
1.1. Identify and define marketing opportunities and problems; generate, refine, and evaluate marketing actions related to producing compost at Azraq level.
1.2. Supplier study, including the number and location of suppliers, the prices of raw materials, etc.
1.3. Consumer study, including the quantity needed, the prices able to pay, etc.
1.4. Competitor analysis, including the number of competitors and capacities, their products, their comparative advantages, market share for the main competitor, etc.
1.5. Calculation of market supply and demand according to the different quality of compost available in Jordan.
1.6. Spot market occasions and threats, not apparent on the surface, and once they have been identified, provides further insights to help find adequate solutions.
2. Framed marketing strategy plan includes the following:
2.1. Product: result on a market segmentation and product positioning, including quality, additives, packaging, etc.
2.2. Price: Pricing strategy planning.
2.3. Place: Distribution planning, including location, distribution partnership, etc.
2.4. Promotion: Sales activity organizing, advertisement strategy, public relationship, etc.
3. Comprehensive Study of Compost production legislations:
An overview of the current legislation on agricultural production and environmental related issues, governmental services provided, existing agricultural subsidy programs and policies to support farmers, taxes, etc.